Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Confessions of an Unfriendly Vancouverite

You've probably heard (or said ) something like this before:

“Vancouverites are so cold. It's so hard to meet people in Vancouver!”

I always thought I was the exception to this rule, a friendly Vancouverite, open to meeting new people and having conversations on the street. However, on a recent trip to Cuba, I realized that I am the worst kind of cold-hearted, jaded Vancouverite.

Walking down the street in Cuba, I would always stare straight ahead with a stony expression and walk briskly toward my destination. Then, I would look back and notice that my Australian and Irish tourmates were stuck 3 blocks behind me.

One guy would be kindly consoling a local artisan: “Listen, your sculptures of big-breasted women are really very nice. Although I can’t buy one today, you should really keep up with your art – you’re really talented.”

Another woman would be calmly explaining to an eligible bachelor, “I’m really very flattered by your catcalls, and you seem like a nice guy, but I’m not able commit to anything serious right now.”

And I realized: they have an urge to be polite to their fellow man, no matter what. And I do not.

This epiphany led to further self-reflection. Turns out I’m guilty of a number of small crimes. I didn’t respond to this really long e-mail from an acquaintance in my editing class. One time, a girlfriend and I told some guys we had to go to the bathroom – and then we left. When someone approaches me at a bar or in the street, I often pretend I don’t see or hear them.

When did I become such a terrible person?

My theory is this: Vancouverites are used to getting the cold shoulder. So, when someone is polite to them, they think they’ve hit the jackpot.

One time in 1st or 2nd year university, I was naïve enough to engage one of those charity canvassers in conversation. I told them that, due to my financial situation, I couldn’t commit to monthly donations, but it was a great cause and I would love a brochure or some more information.

This, predictably, led to me being chased down Main Mall by a hippie: “I'm broke too, but I can always find money for the children! Just tell me WHY you won't help the children!?”

So, now I turn up my iPod, stare at a fixed point on the horizon, and VOILA! No more hippie chases.

More recently, my weird letter-writing neighbour invited me for coffee. I politely accepted, hoping to clear up any misunderstandings between us. My politeness opened up the floodgates: “Oh, you go to boot camp? I like exercising too – hey, do you like hiking? Let's go hiking together EVERY DAY! And we can grocery shopping together every week too, and I'm home most evenings – let's cook together and watch movies together and...”

It's just a vicious cycle of awkward. I become cold and standoffish to avoid being pushed into things I don't want to do. However, the “pusher” only becomes pushy to overcome the coldness he or she encounters from Vancouverites every day. So I become even colder to combat the increased pushiness....and so on, until we achieve the strange phenomenon known as “Vancouver.”

And yet – on several occasions, I have stopped and talked to strangers, and found it very rewarding. In fact, some of those “strangers” became my best friends. So...I guess I don't have a conclusion here, but....yeah.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that sounds about right. Not sure if it is unique to Vancouver, but I have certainly adapted the same survival instincts, something about not wanting to be accosted. I think the problem is that experience has taught us that since most everyone in Vancouver is cold, if someone does come up to you, chances are it is to strong-arm you into something you don't want, rather than say, strike up a pleasant conversation about nothing in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true...and may be the conclusion I was looking for...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm - this is very interesting. I never knew that Vancouverites were considered unfriendly. After all, didn't you host a very friendly Olympics?

    But the logic you present makes much sense. I can't speak for all Americans or even all Chicagoans, but generally people who "over-commit" to a stranger like that are rare and are kept at arm's length at least in Chicago. Most people generally know that being polite and saying, "Nice to meet you," doesn't mean you'll stand in the other person's wedding. They take things one step at a time, often not making it to the next step because simply there are too many people and not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-skylar/new-yorkers-rude_b_3870699.html

    ReplyDelete